||Home > Recipes > Side Dishes > Sweet Plantains
2 to 3 ripe black plantains
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
2 tablespoons brown sugar
- To peel the plantains, cut off ends and discard. With a paring knife, make 3 shallow slits lengthwise along the seams of the skin and peel away. Split the plantains lengthwise.
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a large skillet and place over medium low heat (plantains have a high sugar content and will burn if the heat is too high.)
- Fry the plantains in a single layer, until golden on the bottom then turn over with a spatula.
- Add the cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar and let cook a few more seconds, just to begin caramelizing the sugar.
- Just before serving, melt remaining tablespoon of butter to finish the sauce. Serve immediately.